ADEDEJI ADEBIMPE AZEEZAT FROM UNILORIN LAW CLINIC

ADEDEJI ADEBIMPE AZEEZAT FROM UNILORIN LAW CLINIC


I got firsthand experience of what obtains in the Nigerian justice and legal system by visiting courts
with other clinicians who aren’t new or ad-hoc. Getting justice for pre trial detainees who have spent
months and in some cases, years arrested. I learnt more about how court system operates in practice and I got to know that the Nigerian legal system has many setbacks and loopholes especially in the aspect of criminal law because the few times I’ve gone to court since I became a member not so long, I got to see cases adjourned because of lack of legal representations which is one of the things we sought to achieve and did achieve with the project with the help of some volunteering lecturers and lawyers. Cases that have taken very long time in the court and most times are very trivial issues that ought to end with sometimes discharge with the right legal representation. I witnessed a case where the accused is still in the prison because his bail wasn’t perfected yet. I benefitted tremendously from the program first by learning and the knowledge that we can help and indeed help the pre trial detainees to justice is another important thing I have gained. I know more of what obtains in practice and procedural law with the help of other team members.


CASES I HAVE HANDLED ALONGSIDE OTHER CLINICIANS.

I am an ad-hoc member and joined the clinic not very long ago and have not laid hands on many cases including because of the very important issue of separation of power and working together as a team among the clinicians. A case I however first worked on was the case of COP V Eshorun & ORS and the case was later adjourned. It is however a pity that I don’t know very much about how the case turned out because it was later assigned to a different team.
Another notable case I am a part of the team handling it is COP V DAIRU ALIYU and the first time the court sat on it to my knowledge (after I became a part of the team to work on it), it was adjourned
because of lack of legal representation. I however discussed with the lecturer who ought to have represented him and he made it known to me that the crime he was charged for which is culpable homicide is not a crime that can even be tried by the magistrate court which he is facing because of lack of jurisdiction. So, I discussed with the lecturer who promised to help and advice on how a matter of jurisdiction can be raised thereby seeing to the matter instituted in the high court.

Comments