NWEKE OGADINMA NMA UNI ABUJA LAW CLINIC: REFLECTION



NULAI/OSIWA Pre Trial Project Self Reflection

My name is Nweke Ogadinma, a 400 level clinician from the University of Abuja Law Clinic andI had the wonderful opportunity of being able to visit the prison for the first time in April. The open society initiative for West Africa (OSIWA) and the network of universities legal aid Institute (NULAI) did a great job by involving law clinics in the expanding access to justice for pre-trial detainees project and I was lucky to be a partaker of this juicy opportunity to extinguish the ills that is going on in the prison service in Nigeria. Going through all the trainings and workshops I thought I had it all and was finally ready to march into the prison like a lioness. Right from the far distance, I  saw the colours of the walls looking so aggressive but I decided against the pounding in my chest and I told myself I came here for an interview and if I do get arrested for any reason I had my identity card with me.  Almost immediately, someone muttered ' ah these prisoners can beat someone and collect the person's ID' then I swallowed hard and adjusted the ID in my hand wishing things would not turn around and we end as the prisoners while the prisoners ended up as the clinicians. My teammates did not even act like we were going into a prison facility; Gbemisola was behaving like she had lived in prison all her life but not until after the visit did she explain to us what was going on in her head and how she tried to be in a calm mood to carry out the interview smoothly. Mr Uzodike on the other hand was acting like if they just see his face they would allow him into the courtyard to start the interview immediately. Oh the prison officials' first contact with us and I thought these people do not want us here, they actually acted like they did not know we were coming.
My teammates and I, from left to right Samira, Gbemisola, Vera, Ogadinma, Vivian and Uzodike, Vivian and Ogadinma (myself) Team justice champs

After much wait for the officials to finalize the protocol issues, we were finally allowed into the courtyard after a search that felt like they were looking for our spirits. Then I came one on one with the men whose world had been turned to numerous walls and gates that had nothing close to a soon hope. As a little girl, I had always thought every person that goes into a prison must have committed some sort of atrocious act but I was marveled when my teammates and I interviewed an inmate who had no idea why he was arrested. I felt so trapped by justice that I could not breathe properly.

One of the major occurrences during the interaction with the detainees was the ill treatment they were getting, there was a song more common than the lyrical complain about lack of proper food andoverpopulation and this was the evilmetted out by the SARS officials.' I spent three (3) months plus at the SARS and was beaten severely and severally at the SARS office and was forced to admit to a crime I did not commit'. Then I ask what happened to every person charged with criminal offense is presumed innocent until proven guilty? Is there a courtroom we are not aware of at the SARS office? And if there is, who is the presiding judge? Who represented the prisoners? When our grundnorm has been violated and everyone is equal and in worse cases above the rule of law, what will become of innocent creatures like us who have no one to lift us above the law or even half way through it. So it has become a normal practice for the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) to just pick people up and keep them locked up for months and if they are not able to pay for bail or most importantly bribe, they are thrown into prison for as long as they wish. Many of these inmates have never seen the four walls of a courtroom yet they are being bullied and treated like hardened criminals, worse off their families are not aware of their whereabouts. In kuje prison, the prisoners do not have adequate representation. One of the inmates testified to this fact by alleging that he had been there for about seven (7)months and had no legal representation although he had been told that he had a lawyer working on his case, he had not seen any lawyer before. This is equally due to the issue of poor case management system in the prison. I found it quite preposterous that a person would be arrested and no charge is against him and then he is forced to identify with some unknown persons and forced to accept that he committed some certain crime with these Unknown individuals.

My participation in this project has greatly influenced my thinking and perspective of the prison service in kuje and in Nigeria generally. It is obvious that what we hear about the prisons is nothing close to what we saw in the course of our visitation. The case is worse, the prison is definitely not a place I would wish upon my worse enemy. The prison visit equally influenced my behavior towards the inmates, I believe they deserve some sort of better treatment unlike the harsh treatments they get from the outside world because they are going through hell in there.
I learned a whole lot from this prison visit one of which is the fact that my communication skills got sharpened and well articulated. I also learned that Nigeria has a lot of work to do in reforming our justice system and making the prisons what it is originally meant to be - a rehabilitative and correctional facility and not a place for extortion of the poor masses.

The thing I observed made me feel quite upset and afraid as well as unsafe because it could have been me or any of my relatives that is going through that traumatic experience. If something is not done and done quickly it means no one is safe in this country because our security is at risk. Anyone can be a victim.
. #Justice is free

Comments