Ibrahim Adamu Abdullahi, Deputy Director Alternative Dispute and Resolution (ADR), A.B.U Law Clinic.

 Ibrahim Adamu Abdullahi, Deputy Director Alternative Dispute and Resolution (ADR), A.B.U Law Clinic. 


 I am a participant of this project by virtue of which it serve me as an eye opener on the following matter.


 My reflection on the case of  State V. Bashir Yakubu, goes this way: 
- That Bashir Yakubu was accused of raping a minor i.e. a girl of 13 years old. 
- That some time 2016 the girl and her mother came to his apartment when he is washing his clothes during the day time and the mother pointed her finger on him and she left.
- That Bashir is a carpenter by profession and when he closed for the day around 10:00pm upon reaching home, he sees a number of people at the front of the house and upon his arrival they start beating him till he became unconscious.
- That he was taken to A.BU Teaching Hospital Shika, and when he regain consciousness he asked of what is the problem and police were called where he was taken to Samaru Police Station.
- That he was informed at the police station that he rape a girl of which he denied doing so, then the police called the complainant and she came with the victim and in the station even the girl could not say I commented such crime.
- That the mother pointed at me and said I am the one who rape her daughter and I denied.
- That after a while I was transferred to Area Command Police station where I spend four months.
- That at the police station I requested that medical check up should be conducted in other to know whether I commit the offense being charge of or not, but Surprisingly, the mother said no because I use stick to commit the said offence.
- That I was taken to court where I was ask by the police to admit committing the offence.
- That when the F.I.R was read to me and I was asked to enter a plea and I pleaded not guilty.
- That from Magistrate court Chediya I was taken to Zaria Prison and once again I was taken to court where I was informed that the case was transferred to Magistrate court Kofar Fada. 

      I therefore submitted that the work of NULAI is a good one and I urge them to keep it up, because it's only God who knows how many thousands of Nigerians their project is touching, I was an acting clinician when the program of NULAI too place that was ended in 2016 i.e. Freedom of information Act which is also very educative,  but this project Prison Free-trial congestion that touches the life most.
     Observation from the cited case above I come to observe the following:-
1. Up to know our people still take laws in their hands, without allowing the appropriate authority to take charge of any suspect. 
2. I don't have any statute that permit the police to keep a suspect in their custody for more than 24 hours without being tried in the court of law of competent jurisdiction.
3. It's trite that any criminal offence must be prove beyond reasonable doubt.
        
    By way of conclusion NULAI to me is the elephant of all being an NGO but it's program is of paramount important because it touches life of humanity. 

         I therefore suggest to NULAI to carry on a program title LET THE LAW DEFEND because most Nigerians both in rural and urban area apply the law of jungle in addressing issues at hand, I do believe that the said topic if it will be project it will save the life and property of many Nigerians. Because it's in Nigeria that a thief will be chase he may escape along the line but an innocent person may match his foot step and he will be kill without investigation.


Comments