Abunike N. Grace from NSUK Law Clinic.

Abunike N. Grace from NSUK Law Clinic.


I am a participant of the NULAI-OSIWA Pre trial detention project.

Many years ago, when I was in secondary school, I saw a man being tortured and physically abused by a law enforcement agent. When I inquired, I was told that he was a suspected Armed Robber. Since I was not conversant with the law, I was afraid and walked away.

When I got home, I narrated the story to my Dad who told me that, " not all suspected criminals
actually committed the crime". It was a confusing statement because the society had given me a
perspective that" all suspects are criminals " which was totally different from my Papa’s view.
Years later, precisely 7th July, 2018, I was opportune to be at the Lafia prison to interview awaiting
trial detainees. I was scared at first because of the confusing perspective I already had from childhood, but it turned out to be an interesting adventure.

I was paired with a senior colleague who had a better skill at Client interviewing & counselling . While he interviewed, I took down the notes. Of all the prisoners I interviewed, our first client happened to be the one I enjoyed most because he was really jovial. This singular act portrayed by this man changed my perspective of prisoners being mean, cruel and rude.

Another thing that struck me was that the principle of "Audi alterem partem"( hear both sides) is not
upheld in our judicial system. Most of the prisoners complained that they had never been to a court or
even being allowed to air their views.

In addition, they revealed that even the law enforcement agents are the sole perpetrators of not
respecting habeas corpus. They get an innocent individual and after torturing the person, they
maintained, that they forcefully make the person accept that he/she is guilty of the said crime.
Furthermore, I learnt that no one was above the prison. A little mistake can land you in there and
except by Gods grace, you would end up being treated inhumanely.

I also learnt that being in prison does not stop you from developing in every aspect of your life. It
helps to rehabilitate detainees’ hence I heard of prisoners who attend National Open University of
Nigeria, some learn handwork and others have finished secondary school education. This is done, so
that when they are released into the society, they can make their contribution. For example, former
president Nelson Mandela of South Africa gained his education in prison, and our own former president Olusegun Obasanjo also excelled as a farmer in prison.
I can proudly say that my confusion about criminals and the prison has come to an end as a result of
this project and my passion for activism rekindled.

Thanks.

Comments