Obansa John from UniAbuja Law Clinic: Reflection



My name is Obansa John, a 500 level clinician from the University of Abuja Law Clinic. In the course of the pre trail detainee project, a number of lessons were learnt by me and I also became conscious of certain things which I already knew but took for granted due to the fact that I had to see it unfold right before my eyes. My most significant occurrence or set of occurrences in the project was with a detainee whose case I and my fellow team members were handling.
          This experience describes the stages of agony in which a detainee had to face as a result of inadequacy in the judicial system. The story goes thus; on the first day of meeting and interview with the inmate who was charged with homicide, the inmate (surprisingly to me) sounded and from his body language looked so comfortable in the prison. When asked if they were being treated well in the prison he replied, ‘’prison is not for chilling’’. I felt as though he was comfortable where he was at the moment.
          His case was to be heard in about 2 weeks time, but it was not because there was a misplacement of name between the court and the prison as to the true name of the inmate. The name sent by the prison did not tally with the one on the courts record. As such the case was adjourned for 2 weeks.  The case was adjourned for another 3weeks due to the absence of the judge in court on the day of hearing. It was adjourned for another 3 weeks, this time due to ill health of the judge on the day of hearing. At this point I had a brief chat with the inmate, and a person who was comfortable in prison the other time was also in tears. The adjournment lasted till the court went on vacation. What we should bear in mind is that, this is a man, who even by the constitution is innocent, then why does he has to be held captive in prison for so long without even the court hearing his case, all because of an inadequate system. Something must be done.
          This experience was the most significant to me because it showed me how a bad legal framework or system can break a man and make someone suffer unjustly, and to imagine that many more people are going through that same issue, it showed me exactly the extent to which the Nigerian legal system has deteriorated.
From this case, I have observed that having a single judge per court as in our situation is simply insufficient and aging judges need to retire. Also, adjournment should not be given with so much ease and laxity, as it is a person’s life which is as stake.
My participation has made me more humane to the general notion which every Nigerian knows, the fact that the Nigerian Judicial System is slow, it made me appreciate the implication of this notion. I have also come to know reasons for the slow judicial system in Nigeria and come to understand the reality of the maxim “Justice delayed is justice denied”.
          At this point I feel empathy for every inmate going through this situation and in the right position I feel the desire more than ever to make proper steps to minimize the occurrence of this ugly situation.

Comments