Egbedokun Omolara from UniAbuja Law Clinic: Reflection





My name is Egbedokun Omolara, a 500 level clinician from the University of Abuja Law Clinic. I had a mind blowing experience on my visit to the famous Kuje Prison at Kuje Area Council Abuja. Prior to my visit, the picture I’ve always had of a prison was that of the wall of Jericho, but my view changed on getting there. I thought prisons were meant for only criminals but I soon realized it has been turned into a home of both criminals and innocent citizens who have been wrongly arrested and have as well been forced to admit to crimes they never committed. Likewise, I thought prison officials would willingly entertain any legal aid assistance in decongesting prisons but I was totally wrong as well.
After a long journey to Kuje prison, with the mind set of helping pre-trial detainees get access to their long awaited justice, a senior prison official who happens to be the head of operations refused our entry with the excuse that he wasn’t prepared for our visit despite the fact that we’ve met all the necessary requirements. At that point, I started developing cold feet and the atmosphere was filled with disappointment knowing that there are lots of detainees in there who have been denied access to justice. I was discouraged as I felt our visit was already in vain. It took a while after series of pleadings by our Coordinator before we were granted access. Eventually, we were given the opportunity to interview just a few pre-trial detainees even when it was obvious that there were more of them in detention.
Prison officials are not helping matters at all; I often feel they think their services wouldn’t be needed anymore if the prisons are being decongested since it is a known fact that about 75% of inmates are pre-trial detainees which they are absolutely aware of. They need to be reminded that it is only the detainees who are not found guilty of the alleged crimes that would be released and for those  found guilty by the courts would serve their original time as convicted prisoners rather than being a pre-trial detainee with no hope of leaving at all. I realized that some of the detainees have even served more than the time they could have served if they were actually convicted.
I feel pity for our country Nigeria on this issue, reason being it is a lacuna that needs serious attention and needs to be addressed with immediate effect because it affects the future and development of Nigeria.

Comments