Bonn-Asiegbu Chiemela Frank from UniAbuja Law Clinic: Reflection





My name is Bonn-Asiegbu Chiemela Frank, a 500 level clinician from the University of Abuja Law Clinic.
My participation in the pre trial prison project is one experience that I would hardly forget. It exposed me to an entirely​different aspect of the legal profession. The process of teaching and learning is a good level but then when taken to the practical level it indeed becomes fantastic and surreal.
The significant occurrence or experience for me during the entire process was my interaction with a detainee that I interviewed. This experience was indeed significant to me because while the interview was going on, I felt socially responsible. From then my mindset changed. I became more passionate about what I would contribute to the society to make it a better place and not focusing on what the society can do for me. I also got to understand that one of the major issues that hinders and delays the cooperation between suspects and security officials is the “approach”. A violent approach towards suspects does not yield the appropriate ​result.
From my experience, I learnt that as a lawyer I have to contribute to the development of the judicial system because a lot of work needs to be done and the change begins with me
From my observation of the interview with a detainee, I felt passionate about the plight of the prison pre trial detainees and that I had a duty to always  speak up  for those who can not speak for themselves. This inspired me to write this poem. Title; In these walls
In These Walls

In these walls are souls long buried in thoughts
Hearts that beat slowly but loudly
Eyes that look but see nothing
Yes I have been in these walls
Filled with dreams and aspirations of the sons of men
I want to go home to my business he says
Why must I be tortured this way?
And forced to say
 I did it.
Yes I have been in these walls

Comments