Ahmed Samira from UniAbuja Law Clinic: Reflection


I am
Ahmed Samira, a 500 level clinician from the University of Abuja Law Clinic and I am really glad I participated in the 2018 NULAI/OSIWA Pre Trial Detention Project.

I remember when I told my mother I was visiting the Kuje prison. I remember how happy she was that I was embarking on an impactful journey. She wished me well and even informed other family members who wished me well too. I found this very awkward, I mean why were these people taking this so personal? At that point I did not realize the gravity of the position that I was in and soon I will find out.

The day of the prison visitation came, Monday the  16th day of April 2018 and we were a bit late leaving our school for the prison but eventually we started our journey. Shortly after leaving we started with a prayer to commit  the affairs of that day unto the hands of God. Later our Clinic coordinator  Barr. Chima Madu gave us a pep talk about the task at hand. He urged us to be strong and emphasized the purpose of our visit. The end goal was to give provide access to justice so whatever we face at the Kuje prison should not deter us. And just like that it hit me and I had a mini self reflection in the bus and I just felt a little bit scared and anxious. I had never really felt anxiety but this was it; me anxious and scared.

We arrived at the prison and as expected (thanks Nigeria) there was a lot of delay from one official to another and we spent almost an hour waiting for all the confusion to be sorted and all the while we were outside, I just kept praying that my anxiety should not take the better of me.  To make matters even worst, I was asked to handle the interview for my group; I almost sweat through my shirt.

I wasn’t anxious because I couldn’t do it but I did not want the detainees to see that I pitied the situation that they were in. How could I not, even the road that led to the prison reeked of sadness and disappointment. The prisoners we saw while waiting looked trapped and even from the smiles they cracked one could tell that their hearts were heavy.

These were the thoughts I had in my head and before I fell into a depression of my own, my mother called me just in time and I told her the thoughts I was having and with these words “this is beyond you, you have to be the best you can be to help these people. They need you” I snapped out of my funk. I started to feel better and I became determined and excited about what I was there to do.

We were able to sort out the issues we had with going in thanks to a kind Prison warden and shortly afterwards we were able to start our registration and we went in. The Kuje prison had some sort of organisation in place. There seemed to be clearly defined roles for everybody working there and it seemingly was working. We were later handed neck tags to put on as a means of identification at the waiting area. Some people were agitating for us to have a tour of the prison and my heart shook LITERALLY.  I had not prepared my mind for that, I just barely got my self to interview a few detainees and now they want me to see all the prisoners? I was not ready for that. I was so relieved when one of the Prison wardens said we did not request for that so we will not be granted that.


After all that had happened, from us leaving the faculty of Law to the entire delay at the prison, we were finally here, sitted at the visiting ground, waiting for the detainees to come in. My team decided to use the time to quickly go through the interview questions we had prepared instead of doing nothing.

Our first detainee interviewee came through bare foot, with torn clothes and a bad odour as though he had not had a bath in weeks. The second interviewee at least had on slippers and looked better kept than the first but still, their appearance was not acceptable.
We started the interview and I noticed how clear and brilliant they were in telling their stories. These were not illiterates but victims of circumstance.

We concluded the interviews and immediately afterwards we had a brief meeting with my teammates about the interviews and the information we had gathered and next steps to be taken. This was after we took group pictures.

On our way back, I reflected on our journey. I noticed that the Prison wardens were generally unreceptive and unwilling to help as though they get some sort of benefit from those detainees being there. Also, the physical state of those detainees was quite alarming. How tattered they looked was so bad. If this was their physical state, who knows how bad their mental state would be. This just made me feel bad and just ignited a fire in me to do better and not have a lenient attitude to these issues. I could do even the littlest thing rather than doing nothing. The prisons in Nigeria need to be for reformation rather than condemnation.

This Prison visit was so important to me as I was able to see and feel the issues first hand thereby giving me a better understanding of the task ahead for me personally and the entire citizenry. We must try to be agents of social change in the society. This will definitely be my attitude moving forward from this project. And this is as a result of the University of Abuja Law Clinic which has taught me the skills to be able to help these individuals in this project and subsequent projects to come as well as other partners such as NULAI and OSIWA.

Comments