paul tony from Absu Law Clinic-Personal Reflection




In my time with the Absu law clinic, I have been on visit to the Aba and Umuahia prisons respectively.
I am currently working on a case of armed robbery. My client's name is Ene Chukwujekwu and he is 22yrs old. He was accused of robbery and was arrested amongst 5 others on February 2018.
I successfully established contact with his next of kin who at first was very reluctant to associate himself with the inmate due to his past criminal records. I had a little difficulty trying to convince the next of kin to stand surety for the inmate. Then I tried talking a little with the next of kin by telling him about the unfriendly nature of the Nigerian prisons and how congested it is. I also reminded the next of kin that the inmate is his brother and he deserves a second chance at freedom pending his date of trail at court. Soon after, he agreed to stand surety and I proceeded to making the necessary arrangements for his release (on bail).
After my interaction with the next of kin, I was overwhelmed with joy because I had successfully convinced him to stand surety for my client. I reported my progress to my supervisor.


Comments