marybliss ijeoma from Absu Law Clinic Learning Reflection



My name is Olaedochi Ijeoma, I am a 400 level law student, from ABSU Law clinic
THE GOOD INNOVATIONS - The ABSU Law Clinic has been a good help to me personally concerning the practical aspects of law. I can proudly say now that I know the procedure to release a  client. Also the ABSU law clinic helps me reach out to persons and has given me the opportunity with such persons that can help me a life time.
I am a member of the Aba prisons department and I would restrict my reflections to the events that took place in Aba prisons.
The Aba prisons officials are welcoming but on the other hand, they are strict and law abiding like the time they told us that if we misplace our tags, we would become one of the inmates.
I had opportunity to interact with an official in the prison, he was working at the enquiry unit and he was one of the persons that helped us with the suit number to the cases we are handling. He even volunteered to give us more cases and their suit number of some persons who had stayed in the prison for more than 3years and had no representative and no family member that looked for them. Other officials appreciated what the law clinic is doing and they made the process easy for us in any stage we found ourselves.
Currently I am handling a case on stealing, here he was accused for stealing his uncles money while he was an apprentice for his uncle is. Presently its difficult to contact the next of kin as his farther is leaving in Lagos and his uncle is unwilling to sign for him.
MY THOUGHT: I would say that the law clinic is going a long way to touch lives more than we even know. I say this because most times some inmates have no representative and no hope of leaving but we help and also do it as a probono service.

Comments