Madumere Cindy from ABSU Law Clinic-Personal Reflection





My name is Madumere Cindy, a 400 level student of ABSU Law Clinic.

I appreciate the innovation 'Law Clinic' and the platform which we have been given to learn on the practical aspect of law. 
This experience as well as my participation in the NULAI Project has embroadened my horizon and taught me alot of things which I would not have learnt in the classroom. 
My reflection on the clinical activities goes thus:
I would restrict myself to the happenings in the Umuahia Prisons because I am a member of the Umuahia Prisons department. 

I was opportune to interview an aged person of about 60 years and I noticed his physique was badly deteriorating and it was obvious that he was in a very bad state physically and psychologically. 
I came to understand that he shared the same cell with persons younger than he is and the cell was very choked up. With the intervention of law clinic he was granted bail and while giving his testimony to those who cared to listen, he talked about how he was bullied by the younger inmates and was treated alike by the prison officials, as if he was of the same strength and ability with them. 

CINDY'S THOUGHTS:
I think this should not be so as regards aged inmates.They should be given a little bit of preferential treatment because of their age and obvious constraints which comes with old age. Inasmuch as we are all equal before the law, i propose that, these persons should not be allowed to stay in the same cell with young and agile inmates who can bear anything that comes with staying in the prison.This does not however exempt them from facing their punishments, but they should be considered inorder to put a check on the rate of mortality amongst old persons in the prison. 


Comments