Jennifer Williams from ABSU Law Clinic- Personal Reflection

After visiting the Aba, Umuahia and Okigwe prison respectively by the Law Clinic, each team in the clinic were given a good number of cases to work on.

My first client was not really truthful about himself which made it difficult for me to obtain his suit number. In other words, inmates are not always truthful with the status of their case.

My second client is a young boy of 21yrs, Chinomso Okemiri who was arrested by the police for stealing a motorcycle and he is currently in prison. He has been in prison since April 2018 till date. After obtaining the Suit No, I proceeded to the court for other necessary documents. However I was unable to get this document because the handwriting of the court clerk was very bad and I could barely see and understand what was written down. I was asked to come back in the next two weeks because the typist wanted to take her time to type what was in the document and send it to the court clerk for corrections then she can re-type it and make it ready for my next visit.

The bottom line is that the next of kin who sometimes are not related to the inmates may not be available at all times. Prolonged delay in the whole process often makes them lose interest in the inmate case.

Comments