Ifunanya Dike from ABSU Law Clinic-Personal Reflection




On a visit to Federal Prisons Okigwe Imo State Nigeria, by Absu Law Clinic which I attended. At the process of interacting with the detainees/inmates I came across this inmate, who is 24 years old. While interacting with him, though at first the interaction did not flow well due to his inability to speak up, but at the long run I over came that challenge by often telling him to be louder so that I can flow with his communication. 

This inmate is charged with  Burglary and Stealing. From his case he entered his brothers compound  and stole bundle of zinc. He was arraigned and remanded in prison custody.
This experience is significant to me because I have kept on wondering why a brother will take his brothers property and sell them without the approval or permission of his brother(the owner).

The underlying issues I observed were that our society have over looked what is called unity and good relationships.
My participation has influenced my attitude in life over people I meet. Whether in the same class,above or below. To always treat them right and have good relationship and also to be vigilant and purpose driven.
From my experience I learnt that we should not let anything stain our good relationship with people especially FAMILY.
Yes, am an emotional person, while interacting with this inmate I got emotional at a point but it was controlled.
The ABSU LAW CLINIC has taken up his case  and will try her possible best in this case.

Comments