Ekejiuba Adaobi Chigozie from ABSU- Learning Reflection



Reflecting on the OSIWA/NULAI Project : Prison /pretrial detainees, I have come to the amazing realisation that this project has aided my interviewing and counseling skills, advocacy skills, and communication skills. The case which I'm handling, features 3 case mates; although tasking, has considerable promise of these detainees being freed from the prison on certain bail conditions. 
I'm at the follow up stage which requires me to contact any of their relatives who would sign surety for them. My experience so far with this case has been rewarding in the sense that my skill in communication has improved greatly. Although, there were certain challenges which I faced in the course of handling this case like, the inaccurate information provided by the detainees as regards to the offence charged during the interview, which led me to interact with the prison official/warden. This was in order to clarify and get the accurate details and offence of the detainees. 

My participation in this project has offered me series of opportunities to expand and research in ways of how to be a good communicator, which has also affected my advocacy skills in a positive note. Also, this project has given me a sense of responsibility as to the hopeful release of these detainees. 

I am grateful to be part of this project via Absu Law clinic, which has introduced me to this great community of legal aid luminaries.

Comments