Amaechi Divine-Moses Amarachi from ABSU Law Clinic-Personal Reflection

AMAECHI DIVINE-MOSES AMARACHI
ABSU LAW CLINIC


Before now, I just had an idea of what the clinic was about. I had always wondered how much I could help someone with a largely theoretical legal education and little practical experience. 
I had never read an inmates statement, or spoken to a distraught mother whose son was held in custody, or told someone why they can't be released. 
I thought it was just interactions with inmates, court and prison officials, inmates relatives and then....the release. 

But now, being among the clinicians in ABSU Law Clinic, I've learnt a lot. 
I soon discovered that the training I have gone through have allowed me to offer a great deal to someone who is placed in a position where he feels powerless against our "justice" system. 

I've learnt how to successfully interview an inmate to obtain necessary and relevant information. 
I've learnt how to apply for the charge number, charge sheet and the record of proceedings. 
I've learnt how to manage expectations and how to positively utilise mirror neurons in conversation. 
I've learnt how to do the best for our clients without becoming emotionally burdened, how to channel frustration at an apparent injustice into a productive force and how it feels to truly make a difference in someone's life.

I've learnt how little we know, how fortunate we are and the value of the legal profession's continued contribution to the community.

I handled the case of Ibrahim Goje charged with Damaging Government Property, after interviewing and on applying for the charge sheet and record of proceedings. I was informed that he had been released by his relatives. 

I'm currently on the case of Ahamefula Anya who is charged for Armed Robbery. 
Application for the charge number, charge sheet and record of proceedings has been made to be submitted by next week Tuesday. 

Before my first conversation with a client, I was pretty nervous, but with time I realized it was much easier than I thought. 

The most important skill that I've learnt is that the client comes first ; knowing that the client's life and freedom hangs on the balance. 

Comments